The use of cannabis as a medicine dates back thousands of years. Here is a brief overview:
1. The earliest record of medical marijuana comes from ancient China and was used for constipation, gout, rheumatism and absent- mindedness.
2. Ancient Egyptians were the first to use cannabis as a treatment for tumors.
3. Cannabis was used as a veterinary medicine in ancient Greece.
4. Medical cannabis was introduced to Western medicine in the mid-1800s.
5. The name ‘indica’ refers to Indian cannabis.
6. Cannabis was listed in the United States Pharmacopeia from 1851 until 1941.
Read at http://www.leafscience.com/2014/08/05/6-historical-facts-medical-marijuana/